- 2 cup corn flour for arepas
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup grated white cheese
- 2 cup cool water (or more if needed)
- 6 tsp butter: 4 at the beginning and 2 at the end
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, butter and white cheese. If you add salt or milk to the mixture your arepas will be too dry.
- Stir in water to make a firm dough.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and form each piece into a ball.
- Flatten the ball: the thickness of the arepa shouldn't exceed 2 cm.
- Oil a griddle very lightly and warm it over medium-high heat.
- Cook the arepas on the griddle for 5-10 minutes on each side.
- Rub butter on each side of the arepas, forming a very thin layer, and then sprinkle the salt on top